Friday, November 15, 2019

Dear Rosalie (On your water polo career)

Dear Rosalie,

Today I started going through all the water polo pictures over the years you have played in preparation for creating your Water Polo Memory Board that you will receive at the End of the Season Banquet next week. I started thinking of all the many amazing things you have learned, the wonderful trips you have been on, and the fun friendships you have formed and decided to write it all down for you, as it is all a very significant part of your life. (And to help this mama process the fact that you are now a senior and this is the end of an era for you. Sniff, sniff.)

I remember when you decided to play.... Spring of 8th grade year. You didn't want to be left out, with your sisters playing and your friends all trying it out, so you decided give it a try. You had never played a sport before (other than kindergarten soccer). You went for it! And liked it! I'll never forget though, that day you came home very upset because, due to lack of players, you were going to have to start playing with the high school team, and you weren't quite ready for that. But you stepped up and did your part. And as a freshman, you were a starter on the varsity team! That fall you wrote a paper titled "How Water Polo Changed My Life". In it you went into detail about all the good things water polo had provided for you. I still have a copy of that paper and will always keep it, as a reminder of the impact this sport has had on you. What a fun year that was, playing alongside your sister Katie!

The summer after freshman year, sister Natalie joined the high schoolers as well, and all three Kisling girls got to play together for the summer! That was such a unique and special experience in so many ways! And all of you (plus mom and dad) got to travel to Hawaii to play together! What an amazing trip that was!

Sophomore and junior year were challenging years for you where water polo was concerned. The girls who came in as freshmen right after you had all been playing for several years, and their level of experience meant that you now had to take a step back and let them play ahead of you. What tough times those were for you, yet very valuable, as it taught you many of the character traits I mention later. These years also provided you with great friendships, though, and those friendships from water polo carried you through some difficult situations, and gave you some fun times. :) Your team traveled to California, Washington, and different places in Oregon, and once again, we traveled to Hawaii in the summer after your junior year, for another wonderful time.

This senior year, I have seen so much growth in your confidence, ability and play time! It has been fun to see you find your stride, and play well. You are one mean machine when it comes to defense :), and you do such a great job guiding the younger girls when you lead second string in the water. I am so proud of you for all your dedication and hard work with this sport.

Here are some of the things I think are important to note, lessons you've learned, values and character traits you have developed.

Courage: Even you don't fully grasp the significance of you being a part of one of the most physically challenging, mentally stretching sports out there. Not many know the story of all that you have overcome in your life - (your beginnings can be found here in these past blog posts...http://momssongbird.blogspot.com/2010/03/story-of-rosalie.htmlhttp://momssongbird.blogspot.com/2010/04/rosalie-story-continued.htmlhttp://momssongbird.blogspot.com/2010/04/final-installment-on-rosalies-story-i.html). And that wasn't even the real end of the story! Anyway, to me, you are a wonder...courageous and brave and strong. Learning to speak up for yourself cost you, I know, but you learned to be courageous and speak up at times. And the way you take on any player in the water has always made me smile! It's as if you just say "Welp, gotta stop this girl so here I go!".

Dedication and Discipline: You have stuck with this sport, even when things were hard, when you didn't get the play time you wanted, when you had to be at practices at 6 am during the summer, when practices are on Saturdays, when weekend after weekend is filled with tournaments, when going meant you would see someone it was difficult to be around, when you were sick or tired or frustrated. Your commitment has been and is admirable. Not all who went through your specific situation would have stuck with it. So kudos to you!!

Kindness: I love watching you look out for younger players, being kind and welcoming to all. You truly are a sweetheart, and your kindness is evident in what your teammates communicated in their card to you on Senior Night. :) You shine Jesus well, sweetie. :)

Friendships! From Maddy O., to Isabelle, to Jordan and Taylor, to Amelia, "the Maddies" and many more, not to mention your sisters, water polo has provided you with some wonderful friendships! For this I am most grateful, and I know you will miss your water polo friendships even more than the sport - I think. :)

Travel: I can't believe where all this sport has taken you! California, Washington, all over Oregon, and especially two trips to Hawaii!! What incredible, fun experiences these have been!

Physical Fitness: I know you have appreciated the natural outcome of staying physically fit by doing this sport, and I know you will miss that as well. It has also taught you the importance of staying fit and active, and that, you will carry with you the rest of your life.

Well, this post is getting overly long. As we head into the state competition this weekend and as this season comes to a close, I am sad to see it end for you, but so blessed by all that it has given you, and so proud of you for all you have learned, accomplished and contributed throughout the last four + years of playing water polo. Love you so so much, Rose. ❤


I'll take that ball, thanks...

Not today, #2!     

Passing it on...    


No comments:

Post a Comment