Monday, May 13, 2019

Mother's Day and Other Recent Celebrations

I didn't post anything on social media for Mother's Day. Not about my mom. Not about my Mary mom. Not about my kids. I started to a few times, but ... it just didn't happen. I couldn't find the right picture or the right words. All the recent pictures I have of the kids together are ones I've already posted because, well, they just aren't all four together at the same time that often anymore. I admit, I was a little jealous of all the posts that people's kids posted about their moms. But three out my four children have deleted their social media accounts, and the fourth one doesn't post much. So there's that. And I just didn't quite know what to say. I love my mom in heaven and I love my mom that's here. I love being a mom. But when I started to expound on any of those points, I just couldn't say what I wanted to say without sounding some way that I didn't want to sound. (Nice sentence! lol! And also, I didn't realize I had let social media's grip of certain expectations and pressures lay hold of me!)

We had a good day for Mother's Day. We went to church and then spent the afternoon at my parents' house with most of our extended family. Reid and Cameron worked together on a project in the backyard for me, and in the evening I helped Reid finish it up. (I'll post a picture if I can figure out how..) I'm really thrilled with the finished product!  It was a peaceful evening. The kids gave me a note-card with little notes from them in it. They are precious to me, those little notes. Just a sentence or two from each child, but insightfully expressing what aspects of my mothering touches each one the  most. We finished off the evening watching TV together, and then Reid and the girls humored me and came and sat in my new little backyard haven with me for just a few minutes before we got too cold. Not super exciting, or Pinterest worthy or anything. But lovely to me. :)




Last weekend Cameron graduated from college! This is kind of Mother's Day-ish material to me. Because how the heck do I have a 22 year old college graduate as one of my children?! Cameron is one amazing young man in my eyes. He has had some significant struggles over the last couple of years. But through it all, he has remained devoted to God, a kind and supportive friend, son and sibling, a big part of his campus life, and a successful student. He is growing and changing and becoming, and it is wonderful to watch. It will be fun to see what path the Lord has for him in the next several years. In case one wonders, for the next year he will be an intern at Camp Tilikum which is just outside of Newberg. It will be nice to have him close to home, and I look forward to seeing him every week or two for dinner and hanging out time.

Three days after Cam graduated, Katie turned 20! A new decade! Another one of those mom feelings- how is she 20?! She has grown so much over the last year! Her heart for God and others is ever increasing, and it's such a joy to see her blossom! I love having her home for the summer! She brings life and laughter to our home, and so much more. I only wish I could hold on a little longer, a little tighter, and not have to let her go again once August comes. (More Mother's Day-ish material... it doesn't seem that many people acknowledge the loss we mothers feel when our little birds leave the nest. Yet... we have poured into and received blessing upon blessing from these precious lives for 18+ years, and then all of a sudden they leave. And they leave a big void. And it's sad. There. I said it. Amidst all the excitement for their futures, all the good that it is to let them spread their wings and fly, we moms face a loss along with the excitement and joy. But it's a good kind of hard.) I will cherish this summer with Katie. Who knows what next summer will hold?

It's been a Spring full of milestone celebrations....along with Cam graduating and Katie entering a new decade, Natalie turned 16, got her license and got a job. And Rosalie turned 18 and is looking ahead to her senior year in high school. All four kids seem to be maturing into caring, conscientious, faith-filled people, for which I am very grateful.  It all happens so fast. I always want to be intentional in these moments, yet they seem to fly by, and I'm never sure I've given them the attention they warrant. So I just hang on for the ride, whispering many a prayer as time flies by, hoping I give each meaningful moment its time in the spotlight of life. Mothering is such a roller coaster ride! Joys and sorrows, struggles and victories, highs and lows, pride and humility. I love this roller coaster called Motherhood. And I love riding it with Reid beside me. And I wish a belated Happy Mother's Day to everyone who has a mother, is a mother, wants to be a mother, aches to be a mother...well...to everyone. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment