I don't get sick very often at all. The last time I was sick was right after my mom died two years ago. I caught a nasty cold. But I was actually thankful for it. It was a reminder to me that the whole year my mom suffered from leukemia, I never once got sick. She couldn't be around anyone with even a slight cold, since her immune system was so weak because of the chemo. So even when my kids and Reid got the dreaded swine flu for two weeks, I stayed well and was able to spend time with mom. Had I not caught that cold, I'm not sure I would have recognized God's gift of wellness when it really counted.
Well, it was my turn to get sick again. I got sick on December 10. Nice timing. :) I had planned on doing all the Christmas shopping that last week of school and instead all I did was sit on the couch and watch movies, and take lots of naps. I finally went shopping on December 23rd with Reid, though he did most of the shopping. It's now January 17th, and I am on my second round of antibiotics still trying to get well, and not having been completely well since December 10th. I also have a cracked rib (from coughing so hard) to deal with this last week. (At least I think that's why my rib hurts worse than anything I've ever felt before. The doctor I saw didn't give that thought the time of day, but that's another story. My doctor brother said that's probably what it is.)
I know that sounds really whiny up there, but I have a purpose, I promise. And it's not to whine! :) It's to record the blessings I have experienced during this time of sickness and pain. The first two weeks, when I was either asleep or on the couch, Reid was A-MAZE-ING He did all the running around of kids, the grocery shopping, the meal planning and cooking, the lunch making for the kids, and ALL the laundry from start to finish. He also let me sleep in and go to bed early. And he still went to work every day and put in a full day's work. What a man! I was so blessed by his care for me.
Another blessing was the time I got to spend with Miss Natalie. She was sick that last week of school before Christmas too, and we had fun watching movies together, and hanging out.
My parents brought us dinner, friends offered their assistance with kids and grocery runs, and others checked in by phone.
Since I did whatever I did to my rib a week ago Monday, I pretty much have had to sit in my chair and try not to move much. It's getting a little better day by day, and now I can sit and type this blog without too much bothersomeness. But boy I tell ya, I learned that I am not good at dealing with pain! What a wimp and a whiner I am! No wonder God has not until now allowed me to break anything or deal with serious injury or difficult pregnancy stuff. He knew I'd drive my poor family insane! And talk about grumpy! Phew! Poor Reid! Poor kids! BUT! They have been wonderful helpers and very sympathetic. And what I have been blessed with is a new gratitude for my usually healthy and working body. And a deep empathy and admiration for those who live with chronic pain and/or illness. And also, a rich time of just hanging around with the fam instead of always being at the dishes or the laundry or the cleaning or the... you get the idea. Instead we've played lots of card games, worked on homework together, and really just enjoyed each others' company. It's been special, eye opening, and I hope even life changing.
On to the other stuff....
We went to REACH yesterday, down in Medford. It was a great time of encouragement, and affirmation and just blessed gratitude for the changes we have seen in Rosalie over the last few years, and Katie too over the last year and a half. You can read about Rosalie's story here: Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3. Sorry - I know it's long, but it's good. :) I should update it sometime...
On the way home from Klamath Falls today (we always stay with Reid's parents in KFalls when we go to REACH), it snowed and snowed. It was beautiful and peaceful. And while we were down there, the skies were blue and the air was crisp and cheery. A lovely reprieve from our usually gray winter skies up north.
So you see, my heart is full of gratitude and blessedness today. And I like that it is in writing now, so that when I feel discouraged, I can remember to pick through the big things going on to find the little gifts and every day blessings.
Now if I can just get rid of this cough, and hurting rib...... :)
Untethered… and Running On
11 months ago

Oh Carrie, that sounds awful. I think I heard of somebody else cracking their rib by coughing. As if coughing uncontrollably isn't horrible enough already. I'm glad you have had some good in the midst of it (including beautiful snow!) and I hope you find relief soon.
ReplyDeleteCarrie my dear I am so sorry. Do you have pneumonia? You could also have just pulled a muscle very badly but if you did that or cracked a rib you should be careful for at least 4 weeks. I'm mothering you a bit cousin. Reid definitely deserves recognition. What a guy. AND that you managed to still find the positive out of the negative while you've been sick is awesome. It is so true that without what we call the bad you can't appreciate the positive. Hmmm does that really mean that bad is good too? Or it is in just how we perceive things. I just hold my breath and hang on sometimes because I figure at some point I will see what I am supposed to out of whatever I think is bad and usually I find that it wasn't really that bad after all. I am so appreciative of how you view life Carrie. Thank you for sharing in this way. Patty
ReplyDeleteOwwwwwwwwieeeeee... that sounds painful... I love the way you weave gratitude into your trials. You're beautiful.
ReplyDelete