There is a season where life seems to be rushing at breakneck speed. Where boys begin to shave, and girls awaken to the emotional drama of being an almost teenager. Where little sisters graciously follow and participate in the activities of their older siblings. Where laundry just doesn't get done and the house is a mess and there's hardly time to breathe. Where husbands face hard challenges, and kids need help on their homework, and new ideas for meals are hard to come by. Where the leaves on the trees have all of a sudden turned brilliant orange, yellow, and red, and the little birds fly like pepper in the sky. Where Thanksgiving is a week away, but really seems like it should be a few weeks away.
It's a full season. Full of joy. Full of emotion. Full of fun. Full of frustration. Full of wondering. Full of questions that hopefully have wise answers. Full of hope. Full of driving. Full calendars. Full hearts.
And in between, there's not much time for writing, for processing these things that are all happening whether I try to stop them or not, so I just hold on for dear life and ride this kite tail called life and hope that I am taking it all in; loving, laughing, growing, sharing, building. Making good choices and decisions by the grace of God and in the best ways I know how. Being and becoming the woman God created me to be.
And in the midst of it all, finding those little things and big things to be thankful for. It keeps me going. Keeps my perspective where it should be - most of the time. So here is the list of gifts #201 - 300. It's been a while, and I haven't kept up with this list the way I'd like, so it starts back in early September.
201. A day at the beach
202. Warm sand between my toes.
203. Kids splashing in the waves.
204. Cloudless blue sky and warm temperatures at the Oregon Coast!
205. Running down big sand dunes.
206. Happy dog being buried in the sand.
207. Relaxed Daddy.
208. Popping in at Aunt Pam's beach cabin to spend time with cousins and Pam.
209. A sand bed made specially by Katie to fit my body.
210. Yummy fajitas.
211. The color red.
212. Purple!!
213. The little sparkles on the stem of a tomato plant.
214. Family - Papa O., Aunt Kathy, Aunt Deena and cousin Andrea coming for a visit.
215. Monday! A fresh week ahead of me.
216. Don Skyles - his funeral, hearing about the kind of man he was.
217. Generosity of Dad and Mary to share their home with our family and friends while they are gone.
218. Talking with Alan Mezger.
219. Grace University - taking a class with Cam and Katie at church.
220. The enthusiasm and energy of Geary Linhart as he teaches - a definite teacher's heart!
221. A good night's sleep finally!
222. Harvest moon rising in hazy dusk sky.
223. Worship practice with Paula and Becky.
224. Working on albums with Debbie.
225. The albums are done!
226. Homework time with the kids.
227. Homemade goodies in the oven.
228. Knowing the Lord's help in being patient with the kids.
229. Father and son out to ice cream after the game.
230. Have I mentioned coffee? :)
231. Late start Wednesdays - longer quiet time!
232. Walking into my bedroom and seeing that Reid has made the bed for me.
233. Baby chicks!
234. Pleasant afternoons at the park after school.
235. Chatty, giggly, happy girls - even when it's overkill and can be annoying. :)
236. Waking Katie up - a smile on her face before she even opens her eyes.
237. Getting out Fall clothes.
238. Reid helping Nattie with her "me" poster.
239. Reid's cheerful, joking, relaxed time with the girls last night.
240. The beginnings of shcool days- hustle and bustle of breakfast, lunch prep, etc.
241. The peaceful pitter patter of raindrops.
242. Rain!
243. Feeling cozy in our nice comfy house during the rain.
244. The smell of rain.
245. A dinner at home with all of us around the table. (sports season..)
246. A fishing day for Reid.
247. A day at home to catch up on housework.
248. Cooler weather.
249. Walking with Amber.
250. Laughter.
251. Walking and talking with Amber and Jenny.
252. A day of salmon fishing for Reid. (Different day than the previous one. :) )
253. How God has filled my "mom shaped hole" with Himself and so many wonderful friends and aunts and cousins.
254. Scrabble with Leslie.
255. Family movie night.
256. All family members laughing hard at the movie.
257. Going to church.
258. Worshiping with church family.
259. A rainy afternoon.
260. Coming home after being out Saturday morning to find the house clean and the girls room cleaned.
261. The happy, proud smiles of the girls who worked hard to make their room look nice.
262. Gorgeous blanket of pink clouds over the world as the sun rises.
263, Praying with Reid.
264. Eating salmon.
265. Being known.
266. Being a child of God.
267. Women's Bible study.
268. Talking on the phone with Rhonda.
269. Going to Dundee Open House.
270. The feeling of being settled, established in this community.
271. Nights of restless sleep. They make me rely on the Lord to make it thru the day and help me appreciate the nights of good sleep.
272. Extended summery weather.
273. Morning mist rolling down over the vineyard next to our house.
274. Sun shining on the vineyard - such a pretty green.
275. Listening to my husband teach at Grace University.
276. Worship on Sunday.
277. Hats!
278. Wind.
279. Seeing Dad and Mary after 3 weeks.
280. Finding so many wonderful treasures in the hand-me-down bins.
281. Nattie sitting on my lap reading to me.
282. A well timed walk and talk with Amber.
283. Prayer and worship time with Paula.
284. Prayer time with Reid.
285. Leaves changing color all over - reds, oranges, yellows - so brilliant!
286. Fresh hair cut for Cameron.
287. Earlier darkness = relaxed evenings together.
288. Father and son up in Grampa's shop working on a project together.
289. Brother and sister playing a game together.
290. Finding a new gluten free blog with yummy looking recipes.
291. First High School band concert.
292. Cam and Reid wrestling and laughing.
293. Happy pregnancies at church.
294. New little adopted step-niece on my lap.
295. Katie all dressed up for an interview at school (for a trip she'd like to go on.)
296. New flannel jammies.
297. Foggy mornings.
298. Frost on the windshield.
299. Grandparents who try hard to come to every performance and game.
300. Music! Orchestra, band, etc.
I know... I repeated a few of those. But they meant different things at different times.
Now I'd best get back to unpacking the groceries... or the dishes.... or the laundry... or fixing dinner.... or a little of each. :) Riding that kite tail, baby. Yep.
Untethered… and Running On
11 months ago

I MADE THE LIST!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, the joy. Oh the joy! I will bask in that joy all week. I love you, Carrie. There sure is that season, isn't there? Yes, there sure is.
ReplyDeleteLeslie, the last several weeks when I haven't been able to put into words things that are going on because they are too personal (not necessarily negative, just not shareable), I've been thinking of the time you took a break from blogging. I think it was about the time your kids were going through the same stages, and now I understand. :) I love you too. And yes, there sure is this season. I have a feeling it's going to last quite a while, too. :)
ReplyDeleteCarrie I appreciate so much that you even took the time to write this. Thank you so much. I wish that I had been able to appreciate the time when my children were that age so much more than I was able. It was such a whirlwind and I relate so much to what you are saying. I had to work full time during all of that and have always felt that it was a great big blur. It seems when I try to recall times with my children during those days that I am reaching for something that I missed. One thing I am certain of cousin is that your family should put YOU on their list. I love you Carrie. Patty
ReplyDelete