Ever had one of THOSE days where too many things go wrong or just don't click? I don't usually have days like that. Maybe moments,or even a couple of hours. But today.... today, I tell you, has been one of THOSE days.
Actually, it started last night. I didn't sleep well. Too hot, then too cold, then Reid stole the covers. You know how it goes. So I got up at my usual time - 5:30. Things started just fine. I had my prayer time, woke the two older kids up, and then stuff started happening.
I was preparing a roast for dinner tonight. I wanted to get it in the crock pot before I woke the younger girls up at 7:15. So I was searing it in a pan, talking with the older kids, preparing three lunches and two breakfasts. They needed to leave in 5 minutes or so, and I realized I hadn't made Reid's oatmeal yet. Thankfully he walked in right before I started it and let me know that he didn't need breakfast this morning. Then he stood in the kitchen. Watching me. Not. Doing. Anything. To. Help. Yep. Then he asked me if I had remembered to return the Donaldson's car keys to them sometime over the last week, which I hadn't. He proceeded to tell me that I'd better get the keys to them this morning because Tom may need his truck today. And "Oh, did you remember to bring my water bottle home from the water polo game last night?" (I had awakened in the night worried because I couldn't remember bringing it home. I had asked him to leave it with me at the game when he left early for a meeting.) I told him I may have left it at the pool, and he huffed out of the house. Great way to start the morning. (I had permission to write this. We are a real live human couple with real live little tiffs and such after all.)
The roast was finished searing and I put it in the crock pot. Then I went to take a quick shower and fix my hair before waking the littles up. Got them up, worked on their lunches and breakfasts, finished getting myself ready for the day. Looked for the potatoes in the fridge to add to the roast. Uh-oh. No potatoes. And oh yeah - I forgot to buy carrots, too. Great. Roast with no potatoes and carrots. Oh well. Figure it out later.
I was just about ready to fix my breakfast and noticed that we were out of milk. Shucks! Peanut butter toast in the car, I guess. Lunch! I almost forgot to fix my own lunch to take with me to my aunt's house where I clean every other Thursday! Threw in a bagel, a pear and a cookie and called it good.
Oh yeah. The dog. She's been misbehaving in the garage when we leave her the last couple of times. We had planned to attach her leash to a stake in the yard this time, but now I was out of time. I left her in the garage, but this time on a leash.
Got the girls to school and drove off to Lake Oswego for the day of cleaning and conversation with my Aunt Pam. Hmmm.... gas tank was low. Great. I knew I'd make it there and hoped it was enough to get back and maybe get gas before time to pick up the middle school car pool kids.
Had a great conversation with my wonderful auntie. Worked fast and furiously to clean her house for four hours. Stressing about whether I'd run out of gas or not, I made it back to Newberg in time to get gas. Picked up the car pool kids. Opened the trunk to put their instruments in. The trunk wouldn't re-latch. Got out in the rain and did car surgery and hoped it would stay shut.
Dropped all the girls off. Brought Katie home for a very quick snack before taking her to piano lessons. Opened the garage door to mass chaos in the garage. Now there was not only the knocked over chicken feed that we hadn't had time to clean up from the dog's last escapade. Now there was added to that a shredded coke box, a shredded basket all over the floor, shredded plastic bags that used to hold empty pop cans, empty pop cans, Christmas lights (?), and a whole bunch of other stuff strewn about the area she could reach from her leash. Argh. It looked like a tornado had been through there. Seriously.
Fortunately, things began to look up a little from there. Got the girls off to piano, and Natalie to a friend's house. That gave me a half hour to breathe, and to write. And shoot, there's still lots of hours left in this day to bring it around. Just thought y'all might enjoy a little dose of the occasional hairy day in the Kisling home. :)
On the bright side, I loved visiting with my Aunt Pam, and I went to visit my neighbor whose husband died last month. Wouldn't you know I left her house encouraged, when I had hoped to be the one to encourage her. :) And my three girl chickies are always a bright spot in my day. (Haven't seen the boy yet today.) Here's hoping for a good evening! :)
And I guess we'll just have salad and bread and butter with the roast tonight. I'll get potatoes and carrots for tomorrow night. Oh... and I found the water bottle in the car. :)
Untethered… and Running On
11 months ago

Don't you hate the dog worse than all the other things when that happens? I always feel like I can hate Togo without guilt for shredding up paper in the hallway when it's on top of all the other stuff in a day. Poor Togo. He gets what I can't take out on anyone else. Which is really just seething anger and a loud "NO". So he slinks away for a second until he's out of sight and then comes bounding back for some love.
ReplyDeleteHope you have a better day tomorrow. :)
Here's hoping today has been better Carrie. It sounds like you found some gifts to be thankful for anyway. After taking a few deep breaths somehow it always feels to me like there was some kind of planned lesson that I was supposed to be learning when these things happen. All my love cous. Patty
ReplyDelete"We are a real live human couple with real live little tiffs and such after all." LOL!! :) Hilarious!! :) Amen, keep it real, sista! Realness is a ministry all its own.
ReplyDelete