Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My Facebook Ponderings

Facebook. Friend or foe? Good or bad? Addiction? Lack of discipline or lack of trust? These are the thoughts floating around in my head lately. Don't get me wrong. This is just a personal thing. I'm not judging anyone else's use of facebook. I rather enjoy it myself. But....

Back in February I decided I needed to take a break from Facebook. I was just spending way too much valuable time on it. I'd check it first thing in the morning. I'd check it every single time there was a comment on my page. I'd check it almost every time I walked through the room. I'd check my Scrabble and Word Twist games several times a day to see if it might be my turn yet. It was filling a void in my days, and keeping me from spending time on important things like the tasks and relationships within my home.

I thought I'd take a break for a few weeks. Well, that has turned into a few months. I really haven't missed it as much as I thought I might. But I do miss the connection with friends both far and near. Life has been very full, and I honestly don't know how I did have time for all that facebooking I was doing. But now I find that things are slowing down a bit. And I have run into a few old Facebook friends lately that say they miss me on there. And I find myself wondering if I could handle just a little bit of facebook here and there. I am actually a little afraid. Am I lying to myself to think that I could have the discipline to monitor my use wisely? After all, I couldn't manage it a few months ago. Is it a matter of self discipline or a matter of trusting God to fill my voids and trusting Him to give me the strength and discipline to use it wisely? Do I treat it as a temptation? Aren't we supposed to run from temptation, not put ourselves in it's path? I don't know the answer to all that, quite honestly. I'm thinking and praying about it. This may sound like I'm making a bigger deal out of it than I need to. But for me, it is a big deal. I'm not sure what I will end up doing. Maybe I'll wait a while longer. Maybe not. Maybe I won't go back at all. Sheesh, I just don't know.....

(Such a random post after not posting for two months! Oh well. :) )

5 comments:

  1. I love you Carrie! I figured that was what was going on and for good reason. I too miss you on FB but I do understand. I refused forever to get on FB just because of that. Though I will not put it on my phone..I can't even imagine. My texting has slowed down though due to the connections on FB which has been real good for my sore thumb LOL! I do have to say that I try very hard to just get on for like an hour and then turn the darn thing off so I don't see or hear it. It is easy to get sucked into the computer and FB. I have alot of friends that do that and monitor it all day and on their phones. I would never get a thing done. I also have refused to play the games because then I would do the same thing there. Time is precious especially when you have those little ones around for only so long and you don't want to have any regrets about how you spent your time with your family. If you never get back on the thing I will totally understand and if you do....I am certain you have the strength to monitor your time wisely. Besides it being good for my business (which is why I decided to do it in the first place) it has been a very nice surprise to connect with people I thought I may never see again and with family I don't see very much of. Whatever you choose you will do what is right for you. I'm glad you share in this way too though and I will keep checking on you one way or the other. Yep...you're stuck with me now.....BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I love you Carrie. Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand the struggle. For me, it's not even a question as my kids are on there and their friends are on there and I want to be where they are! Plus, it's one of the only ways their school communicates with us. Good or bad, it is the truth. An added bonus is keeping in touch with old friends. (no pressure) :)

    One thing that has helped immensely is turning off ALL email notifications. I check it when I want to check it and I see the notifications up at the top of the screen. I don't need it invading multiple parts of my life. And the even bigger thing that has helped is hiding everybody from my news feed that I don't really know anymore or the people I do know that depress me with their updates. I don't want to be depressed by other people's lives. I've got enough of my own life to fill me up. I've got it down to only about twenty friends that aren't hidden and it's quite enjoyable that way.

    Anyway, whatever you decide, you're stuck with me too. I like how Patty thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo... I like Leslie's idea of disabling all email notifications. That's a great idea. For me, the part of Facebook that was wasting my time was the games. I quit playing everything that's not interactive. No more mindjolt games or bejeweled. The only game I still play is Scrabble, and now, I play it for the same reason I do everything else I do on Facebook: fellowship. :)

    For me, Facebook is a vital ministry tool. In my opinion, it is one of the venues to be utilized for staying in community in the body of Christ. In fact, I think it would be a good idea if there were someone on the women's ministry team whose dedicated function was an online social networking ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea about the email notifications. That would help a ton. Becky - I have also viewed it as a ministry tool, and that is part of my "struggle".

    On the other hand, I don't feel the need to have my own account to keep up with Cam's interactions. I have his password, and he knows I go into his account whenever I want, which is whenever he spends time on it.

    20 friends - wow, Les! That's impressive! :)

    Still not deciding. :) But either way, I'm glad I'm stuck with you all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is Amy back in texas... I figured this was what you were up too. I miss hearing from you but totally get it.

    ReplyDelete