Monday, June 6, 2011

"I'll Have My Peace 'to go', Please"

It seems that as the kids get older, life speeds up. Oh how I wish it wasn't so! I want to be able to take time to savor the little moments of everyday life, to really be able to take notice of and enjoy the seemingly insignificant, mundane happenings in the life of our family. For much of this year I have prayed for time, good use of time, more time, better discipline with my time, etc. Slowly over the last couple of months I have come to a realization. No matter how I strive for more time or better organization and discipline with my time, or ask the Lord to help me in these areas, I think He wants me to learn to find my peace in Him, not in a controlled and "peaceful" life. Let's face it. Life just ain't gonna slow down much for a while!

My peace should not come from my ability to control my schedule. Peace does not equal more time, or a slower, less crowded schedule. I mean, really, when one has 4 children and a pastor husband, it's pretty unrealistic to expect a calendar with more than a few bare squares, especially toward the end of the school year. And it's not because I have my kids signed up for everything under the sun, either! It's just the regular stuff of life like orthodontist appointments, piano lessons, and a sport or two, combined with band concerts, trips out of town and other usual stuff. I keep thinking "After THIS, things will slow down. Oh... wait, next is THIS. Ok, well, after THIS things will slow down. Oh... wait, next is THIS." And so on and so on. So if I cannot find peace by slowing down, or making sure I have enough alone time, or enough days at home to make sure I'm caught up with laundry and housekeeping, how am I going to keep my sanity?

Now maybe this is a no-brainer for some folks, but it's been a slow lesson for me to learn. My peace can only come from the Lord. Only in Him is true peace. True peace is not dependent on a slower pace of life, or making sure I get time to myself, or even having a clean uncluttered house. (I certainly wouldn't mind having those things contribute to my peace though!) John 14:27 says "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." Philippians 4:6 and 7 says "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." I like what my Bible notes say about that Philippians verse. It says "God's peace is different from the world's peace. True peace is not found in positive thinking, in absence of conflict, or in good feelings. (Or in my own ability to control my life.) It comes from knowing that God is in control."

But still, how do I actually get to this place of peace? Well, I think I'm learning. I must stay connected to my Lord throughout my day. I must live out of a place of communion with Him. When I have this, I can live out of a thankful heart, too. And the funny thing is, when I live with Him right beside me, praying that He is my peace, I tend to be more aware of those seemingly insignificant, mundane happenings in the life of our family, and can enjoy them much more than when I am striving to control my circumstances and schedule on my own. Now, if I could just practice what I preach! :)

4 comments:

  1. So true my friend. If only all of us would practice that; what a different experience we would have on this earth. Thank you for sharing your heart, your reflections, your struggles and joys. I always love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Carrie. I concur wholeheartedly with every word you've written. The dilemma I struggled with the entire time I was a parent and still do even now. I truly believe that if you were perfect you wouldn't need to grow and so what would be the point. I am so happy you think and feel the way you do. You are continually growing as a person and life is that very process. I am so glad you share in this way. Thank you cousin. Patty

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful. I love this. God is teaching me the same slow lesson, but couched in terms of contentment. Contentment not just with my days and my roles, but also contentment with all the flawed things that make life difficult. Contentment with my husband's issues, my kids' issues, the mother-in-law God has given me, my own issues and failings. It's a weird, good lesson, learning to be at peace with the stuff that's out of my control.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so needed the reminder to enjoy my big kids today... it's just a little while till they will be gone.

    ReplyDelete