Monday, March 28, 2011

Snippets of a Katie-girl's Life

(Written a couple of weeks ago....)

Yesterday morning she wandered down bleary eyed, barely awake. She took her usual waking up spot on the kitchen floor in front of the heater. I gave her a mug of "kid coffee" to help her open her eyes a little bit. In a sleepy not so little anymore voice she said "Mom, I have this song in my head. I think I remember it from Dallas. Do you know what it is?" And she hummed a few notes. It was "Lord I Lift Your Name on High". It was her very favorite song when she was four years old. She would sing it all the time. Sometimes she stood on our little plastic kid table in the middle of the living room, her flowery sundress swaying as she moved and sang. Her little girl voice would waver and crack when the notes got a little high, but she sang it with all her heart, motions and all. And now here she sits, on the very precipice of womanhood, still so much a little girl, but growing more every day into a beautiful young woman. I love watching her grow and mature, but I wish there was some way to capture the moments lost, the little girl in the flowery dress singing her heart out. I had forgotten about her favorite song when she was four.

Tonight I watched her play her oboe in the band concert, a look of concentration on her face, counting out the beats, playing her best. But then I saw it. The little girl still there. When the song was finished, she searched out my face in the crowd, and gave me a big, happy smile. What a joy she is!









Isn't she a beauty? :)

6 comments:

  1. Yes, she is! I love that Katie girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! And beautiful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course she is...! Look who her mommy and daddy are? Miranda is here and 6 months pregnant and I do know how that one feels. I look at her at 21 being pregnant and I still see my little girl though she is a woman. Hard to believe and I'm such a wimp as I sit here crying...LOL! Time flies right on by and before you know it you'll be sitting in my shoes cousin. Every, and I mean every, moment counts. Pay attention to them all if you can. I love you Carrie and you are doing an amazing job and you have an awesome family! Patty

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, I miss this girl. She is so beautiful in and out.

    ReplyDelete