Friday, October 1, 2010

My Way or the High(er) Way

I have been given the privilege of speaking at our church's "Women's Christmas Brunch" this December. (That's brave speak for 'Help! I volunteered to do what?!') Needless to say, I have been gathering my thoughts for this talk since I was asked to speak back in May. (That's brave speak for 'I've been stewing and stressing about what to say since the moment I was asked!') I decided my blog was a good place to kind of write out and compile my thoughts, so if you are reading this, and plan to attend the brunch, you may get a double dose. But who knows, maybe I'll surprise you. :)

At first I thought I'd speak about God's faithfulness in my life, i.e., God's Fingerprints. But the other morning I woke up with a new plan, a new thought on what God would have me say. It was the most wonderful thing — almost like I dreamed it, but not quite. I just woke up knowing what to talk about and how to start it and several of the points I will make. Ah, God — you are so awesome to help me out like that!

So the title of my talk is going to be "My way or the High(er) way. Here are some of my thoughts, in no particular order...

When I was a young girl, I loved making plans for my future. By the time I was in 8th grade, I pretty much had my life planned out. I would go to college and get a degree in elementary education. Promptly after graduating, I would get married to a man who met a long list of qualifications :), one of which was that he would be a pastor. I would teach school for two years and then we would start a family. We would have 4 children, two boys and two girls in no particular order, but spaced out every 2 years. Sounds lovely, yeah? In retrospect, I would advise including in your plans where you would like to live. :)

Apparently, God approved of these plans, though He tweaked them a little here and there. :) See, I went to college, graduated with a teaching degree, and married a man who met my long list of qualifications :), and was headed to seminary school to become a pastor. However, I substituted one year, and taught school three more years before we started a family. And though Reid has a master's degree in theology, he is not a pastor, other than the pastoral opportunities he encounters in his job in Christian Higher Education. And we do have four children all spaced two years apart, but only the oldest is a boy. But you know what? I can look back and see how God's tweaks were just what we needed. (Even living in Texas, but I'll get to that later.) See, I learned a lot about parenting while I was teaching those extra years, and was able to put Reid through school without any debt. And no one ever plans to have a child with developmental issues, but that's what we were given. And it has been a blessing, though a hard road at times. And though I still sometimes miss that second boy I was supposed to have :), I can see how much Rosalie needs a Natalie as her younger sister, and what a joy Natalie is to my heart! In other words, I wouldn't trade the mix of children God has blessed us with for ANYTHING else! God knows best what we need.

Now about Texas.... We planned to live there 3 years while Reid finished seminary school. Instead we were there eleven years! And they were lllooooooonnnnnggggg years at times. For the first 8 years (yes, 8; I know that's a long time) I spent my time pining for "home" — Oregon. Oregon is where I grew up. It's where my family is. It's where my extended family is and where all the good things happen, like birthday parties and weddings, and many family gatherings. Oregon has a beauty like no other place. Boy, did I miss Oregon and all that it represents for me!

In the Fall of that 8th year, I went on a little mini retreat with a few friends and the mother of one of those friends. We camped. You can do that in October in Texas and not get cold. We ate simply. We reflected. We shared. It was wonderful and a time of discovery for all of us. When we were instructed to find our favorite Bible verse and tell why it was our favorite, I naturally turned to Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." I have always loved that verse. This time when I read it, I decided to read the whole chapter to gain the context of the verse. It totally changed my perspective. I won't quote the whole thing, but basically it was God talking to His people who had been exiled to Babylon. He was telling them to move ahead with their lives, to settle in and live life, not keep "pining" for their homeland. Then He promised to bring them back to their homeland in His timing. Well I tell you, I grabbed on to that for dear life and made it my own. :) Maybe I shouldn't have claimed it so personally, but from that point forward, I was able to let go of my desire to move back to Oregon, though still with the hope that maybe someday God would take me back there from my exile in Texas! :) It helped me to trust in God's plan, knowing that His plan is perfect, and good for me, even though I still wanted and prayed for Him to provide a way for us to return to Oregon.

I can't see everything, or know all the reasons God had for having us there, but here's what I CAN see about how our time in Texas was good. First of all, being so far away from family helped me to bond better with Reid. And the times we did get to spend with family were so priceless. Being able to spend four weeks a year of concentrated time with family has its' benefits. At the time when Rosalie was "diagnosed" with Sensory Integration Dysfunction, Dallas was one of the country's leading places for recognition of SI, and we were able to get wonderful Christian therapists, and the help she needed. And of course, Reid's education was valuable, and his experience at Dallas Seminary was incredible. We also got to spend many years with good friends that we had known since high school, and enjoyed our little church on Skillman Ave. There were all kinds of good things that came from our time there, and lots of learning, too. It wasn't what I would have chosen, and to this day, I don't think I would choose that path. But I'm able to see how God used that time to strengthen our marriage, and mold me and grow me in my walk with Jesus. And it's a very real part of who I am today.

I think I'll call that the end of part 1 of My Way or the High(er) Way and stop here. Next up....Part II: Oregon Dreams - Both Realized and Shattered

7 comments:

  1. I remember that retreat well. I remember everything everyone talked about and how much it affected us all. In fact, I just got out my journal from that weekend a couple days ago because I wanted to remember something I had written! I have so many good memories from you living here and us having babies together and babysitting for each other and keeping each other company and talking about our kids' personalities together. All that to say, I'm really glad God had you here too. And I'm really happy for you that you're back in beautiful Oregon. I just wish I could go to that brunch with you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Les, I just got out my journal a few weeks ago to look at my mission statement! I still refer to it alot! Wish your family was closer! :( At least there's internet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear the rest. something good is brewing here............. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie, I love what you wrote. It echos the happy path my life has taken. My husband who far exceeds my qualifications, my formative career, my 3 beautiful girls (I had planned on 5 boys, imagine), and my journey back to Oregon. But, just as a provacative thought, and mainly because I question myself, and really hope you will not take offense, have you ever considered that because you were raised by wonderful parents, in a warm, loving family that you have a particularly sunny disposition. Could it be that you seek positive, life affirming experiences to support what's best for you. Must it be a higher way, or just your way? - Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susan! Good questions! Now I hope I can do them justice with this answer. A few things come to mind... First of all, I may have made light of the experiences I've had so that this post didn't run on forever :), but believe me, they were not all affirming, positive experiences that I sought after. :) I would never choose to have a doctor tell me that my daughter is mentally and physically about 1 year behind developmentally and from that time on struggle with her to catch up and feel normal, and for her not to struggle with participating in activities and academics the way her peers do. I would never choose to have my parents move up to live near family only to find that my mother (ie. best friend) is terminally ill and only has a year to live at most. And those are just the major struggles I've been through. There are countless other difficult times, hard circumstances and negative experiences. You are right in that the way I was raised has had a huge impact on my outlook on life, but it is my hope and faith in Jesus Christ and my personal relationship with Him that carries me in these difficult times and gives me the strength to walk through these darker times of suffering with hope and joy.

    On another note, consider the experience of my aunt. Her husband died in the middle of the night. Later a friend told her that she had had a dream at almost the exact time of his death. In her dream, Russ was ascending a staircase and there was a light at the top. Cindy and the kids were at the base of the ladder. When he reached the top, there was Jesus. He said to Jesus "But I need to take care of Cindy. Who will take care of Cindy and the kids?" Jesus said to him "Don't worry. I'll take care of them". Now maybe it seems like that is a nice dream to make her feel good, but I see it as God's personal interaction to help her see that He is real and will care for her in the absence of her husband. This friend lived 400 miles away, had not seen Cindy for several years, and had no idea that Russ was dying right as she was dreaming until later when she talked to my aunt. I can't explain the timing of her dream away as coincidence.

    And then there is what my mom experienced, too. (That story is going to be in my next post about God's plans :).) I can see God's hands intimately involved in how her story unfolded. From the timing of their house sale (they signed papers the day they left town to move after about a year of being on the market), that they discovered her condition the weekend they moved (she would need care at OHSU so the timing was amazing), to the visions she had while she was sick and dying- one of her in a crowd following Jesus and being counted as one of His followers, one of her coming up out a pool with a restored body, and one of a man (Jesus) in the room with her (bringing peace and comfort) the last few days of her life. To me - evidence of God's real presence.

    So, to make a short answer long :), my experiences have served to show me that God cares intimately about the happenings of my life, and in fact orchestrates them.... not the way I would have them, but in the way that brings Him the most glory, and in a way that hopefully causes me to see them as His plan - perfect, but not painless; best for me, but not always what I think is best; and hopefully able to be used to encourage others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Carrie. I love your honesty. Gentle? I'll try my best. You obviously are deeply founded in your belief that God plays an direct role in your life. I see how that gives you support in difficult times. Thank you for sharing your very dear personal experiences. After I hit the share button yesterday I thought, "ugh, now why did I do that???" I really am thinking more about me. I'm sorry if I upset you. I'm the one who does not understand. I do not see God's will in my life. But I do wonder about "messages" now and again. I do not know why a God would choose me to have such a wonderful life, and decided that another's would be so horrible. I see such pain and suffering in the world and I do not understand why a God would be so arbitrary? This is a deeper discussion than FB allows. I wonder if I should have even started it, I just really liked your blog. I look forward to getting to know you better! Good night, sleep tight - Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post Carrie! They all are. I especially thank you for the Jerimiah reference as I currently am pining for the day God brings us back to Friday Harbor. That chapter is a real encouragement to me as is your story. I also believe that it is for the best and have been blessed to see some of the reasons God has us here and not in Friday Harbor but I haven't managed to get past the pining stage yet. I love the title 'My Way or the Higher Way. It's so true for all of us. He truely knows what's best. Thanks for the encouragement you bring through this blog!

    ReplyDelete