Thursday, June 17, 2010

Firsts and Lasts

The last day of school was yesterday. It hit me today that it was the last day I will ever have a 1st grader. And it was Katie's last day of elementary school. It makes me a little sad. Much as I love to see my children learn and grow and become the beautiful people God created them to be, I can't help but wish I could hold on to each stage just a little longer. To relish the little moments. To oooh and ahhh over the paper farm she made, to listen to him stumble over those first lines in a book, to experience the wonder when she finally says "I can read!" after a lengthy struggle, to see her little face light up over penguin math. First grade - the wobbly handwriting, the hesitant reading, the discovery of addition and subtraction. Oh, I wish I could just savor it a little while linger. As I wished I could hold on to each age and stage - the newborn smell, the toddler walk, the two year old talk, and all of it.

We cleaned out the dress up trunk today. The girls were ready to part with some things that have been staple dress up items for many years. Gone are the plastic glass slippers. I was surprised and saddened to see Natalie wrinkle up her nose, tilt her head and smile and say "No, we don't need THOSE anymore." And to have Rosie laugh at how her heels hung way over the backs of them. Wasn't it just a few months ago they were traipsing around the house in them playing mommies? And gone are the princess tiaras and a little tutu. I think we are out of the Disney princess stage. And we are on to the "Let's play salon" stage. Which happens to be a very cute stage as they play with each others' hair, rub lotion into their feet for a massage and apply play makeup in front of their mirror. At least they still play mommies.

As for firsts, there have been some good ones lately. Katie got 1st place for long jump in the district wide 5th grade track meet. And 1st in the 100 yard dash in her heat of eight girls. People have told me that they love to watch her run. Cameron had his first solo in jazz band at the last concert of the year. He did a great job - didn't even seem nervous. Katie got glasses the other day. A first for her. She likes them a lot. She can see details so much better now! And she looks so cute in them.

Yesterday was the first official day of summer break. It felt more like Spring break with the weather cloudy and cool! The kids had a great day. We sat down and made up a summer 'daily schedule'. :) It makes me smile that they love check off charts and having a schedule. Kind of like their Mommy that way. They did all the chores we had lined up for the morning, and played in the afternoon. I heard the word 'Mom" so many times yesterday I thought I'd need a break! I forgot about that part of adjusting to summer. :) But I do love having them around all day!

Life is always moving, always flowing. Always there are firsts and lasts, always the leaving of one phase of life and entering the next. And though it is bittersweet, how wonderful it is that we are not stuck in one phase forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment