I forgot to set my alarm last night. I got up an hour late. Yikes! Thankfully I had picked out my clothes the night before, which I usually don't do. I managed to get ready for the day in record time, and made myself a smoothie for breakfast because that's fast. I got to the car, set my smoothie on the dashboard in order to start the car and.... the smoothie slipped down the dashboard and glooped a big glop down, down, down. Onto the keys, onto the dashboard, onto my pants and eventually on down to the floor of the car. I may have sworn..... I immediately opened the glove box to see if by chance there might be any napkins in there and ... praise the Lord, there were! Now this smoothie was a berry smoothie, so it was a lovely dark purple color. Oh my. I made the quick decision not to run back into the house and try to change my clothes. I had a hard enough time trying to find an outfit that works for this cold in the morning warm in the afternoon weather we are having. So I cleaned up as best I could, and headed to work. I even made it to work on time!
I asked a coworker how her morning was so far, and when I told her about mine, she was surprised I could be so cheerful with the morning I had had! I hadn't really thought about it but here's the deal. I made a choice this morning each time there was a glitch in my plans. I could choose to be grumpy about it, or find the challenge in making the best of it and feel the triumph of overcoming the odds. Granted, these are fairly minor challenges in the scheme of life. But overcome I did. And I could see the blessings of a Father who loves me too!
Here are the little blessings I got to experience this morning:
*I had picked out my clothes the night before, which was unusual. Maybe God knew my morning was going to be...well... abnormal. :)
*My hair has recently grown out enough that I was able to put it up to avoid spending time on it! Woohoo!
*The pants I chose for today are black, so the purple smoothie is more of a shadow instead of a big purple splotch. And the interior of my car is also black, so there will be no glaring purple stain.
*I realized how much time I waste each morning on things like finding a podcast to listen to while I do my make-up, checking email and the calendar and Instagram updates, etc. while I get ready. Do I really need to do those things?
*There were napkins in the glove box! Lots of them! That's not necessarily a given!
This is a rather surfacy post, but a very real one too. Recently I looked back on my blogposts for the last long while and realized they are more weighty than light. And I went back and read a lot of lighthearted, cute blogposts on my old blog from when the kids were little and really enjoyed the lighthearted stories. So I decided it's time to throw in some lighthearted fun in amongst the heavier, weightier, deep thoughts kind of posts. And to record the realness and humor of life in the little moments. :)
The rest of today promises to be a great day. I get to have lunch with Rosalie, and I get my hair cut right after work. We have leftovers for dinner, so no cooking necessary after I get home later than usual. A rocky start to my day can't ruin the rest of MY day! No sir! Not gonna happen!
And oh.. it's a good thing it won't be too hot today.... I "may have" forgotten to put deodorant on in all the hustle and bustle.
Also, it's pretty outside. I love Fall!


Love your posts, friend. <3 RB
ReplyDelete<3
Delete