This morning I was listening to the first Carrie Underwood album. OK, yes, it's true. Once in a while I get my country on, turn up the country music, warble at the top of my lungs and dance and clean the house. Usually when no one is home. :) (But sometimes when they are, and then they just shake their heads, roll their eyes, laugh and say "Mo-om!" Or if it's Reid, he just smiles. :) )
But that's not the point of this post. Today I was standing at the sink doing dishes, listening to Miss Underwood, minding my own business, when all of a sudden my throat constricted, my eyes got wet and my lip quivered. What? Where did that come from?
Well the song that was playing was "Don't Forget To Remember Me". The one about when the person in the song (Carrie, I assume) leaves home at 18. And her mom is crying and prolonging the goodbye, giving cash, a map, a Bible. And all of a sudden I saw myself in that position. That's where the wet eyes, tight throat and quivery lip came from. Because I realized that in just two short years my oldest chick will leave the nest. (Unless of course he decides to stay here and go to school locally to save money, which of course is what I have advised him to do. :) )
At first I thought, "How silly of me! That's two years from now!" But then I remembered the same kind of thing happening in my house when I was growing up. I even remember my mom talking about it and feeling a little silly. But here's the deal. As adults, we realize how fast time flies. Especially as our kids get older and life gets busier. And two years seems like just a blink in time. I know it will go by just that fast, and I will be the one prolonging the goodbye, holding back the tears, pride glowing, heart aching, as we leave Cameron at whatever destination the Lord takes him to. Until then, may Reid and I cherish every laugh, hug, tickle fight, and wrestling match; capture the interactions with 'the sisters'; love on him like there's no tomorrow; teach him to be a man of good character; etc. ( and may we do the same with 'the sisters'!)
Untethered… and Running On
11 months ago



I know this "mom" feeling all too well. Mine was sooner than ever expected. Why is it you just brought me to tears too...LOL. I love you Carrie. Cousin Patty
ReplyDelete