Sunday, December 2, 2012

What's Next for the Kisling Family

Wow. It's been months since I have posted on this blog! What I've discovered is that it is very difficult to write when one is in the midst of a difficult time. It's too easy to write something one shouldn't write. It's too hard to write honestly during such a time without laying completely bare one's hurts for the world to see. I'm not saying one should not be real, but some things are better left unwritten. :)

Some of you know that Reid was asked to step down as pastor of Grace Baptist Church back in June. To others, this is brand new news. For us, it has been a very hurtful situation, as is often the case when a pastor is asked to step down. We still deal almost daily with emotions ranging from sadness to anger, forgiveness to hurt, hope to impatience, and more. Never the less, God is slowly healing our hearts.

The church has very generously provided a severance package for us. As the months have gone by, we have been very grateful for the time that severance has allowed for us to work through our feelings, regain our bearings, and search out God's plan for what He would have us do next. It also allowed time for our family to go on a mission trip together to Indian Bible College (IBC) in Flagstaff, Arizona, and for Reid to travel to Haiti again, working with Pastor Riccardo. He also traveled to Romania to provide a pastor there a much needed break from ministry for about 10 days, and has a few more trips planned with missionaries our church supports. Earlier this month, he went with a group from our church up to the Yakima area and helped do wiring and plumbing on a new house for our missionaries Jeff and Val Sutton at ACTS. (Their current house has been lovingly given over to their ministry.) Next month, he will travel to IBC to  help them prepare for the accreditation process. Then in January, he will be going to Haiti with two other men  to put on a church planting workshop for church leaders there. (He has always loved missions!)

 Now we are nearing the end of this phase of provision, and it's time to solidify our plans, beginning in the new year. Part of the difficulty in searching out the right direction is that Reid is gifted in many different ways, and has broad experiences that would allow him to work well in many different contexts. (I can say this about him because this IS my blog. Forgive me for bragging on him. :) Actually, I don't need forgiveness for that. I have the RIGHT to brag on my hubby. :) ) Ah-hem. Yes. Back to the subject....
We wondered if he should look for another pastorate, look into interim pastor work, go back into higher education administration, teach at the college level, continue with higher education  consulting, or if there was something else.  Opportunities in all these areas have been presented to him in the last several months,  but for one reason or another they have not worked out.  It has been cool for us to see God very definitely close certain doors, and swing wide open others.

As we have prayed daily together, and continue to do so, some things have become clear. It is important to us if at all possible to remain where we live right now. The kids are at a stage of life that would be a difficult time for them to start over, some of them more than others. We love the area, and the school system here. We are not too far from Reach Family Institute, where we have received and continue to receive such great care for Rosalie (and Katie too!). We are close to family on both sides. Not to mention that with the housing market the way it is, selling our home could be interesting. Another thing I personally have realized over the last couple of years is how much I love working WITH my husband and being an integral part of his life work. It saddened me to think of him re-entering the college administration world, where I don't begin to understand or feel included in all that his work would entail. We understand that God is big enough to handle all these things, but know in our hearts that He also cares deeply about our children's hearts and our desires. This obviously limits our options when looking for career direction. So here's where this story gets exciting. :)

Since 2000, Reid has been a board member of an organization called ARM Ministries. It is a small missions organization that supports missionaries who have a clear vision, including a number of national (non-U.S.) church leaders. It meets a strategic need that seems to be missing in many para-church organizations. The president of that organization is a long time family friend of ours named Alan Mezger. He and his lovely wife Dianne are in their early 60's, and his daughter Leslie is one of my longest, bestest friends. We've all known each other and interacted with each other since we "kids" were in high school back in good ol' Klamath Falls. 

For the last several years, Alan has been asking Reid to come on board as a missionary with ARM to help with running the organization.  For us, that has never seemed like a viable option, as Reid has in the past been employed full time, leaving him unable to devote the time needed to help ARM Ministries to the fullest extent. Now, after seeking several other directions and having the doors quite obviously closed to us, we are ready to follow God's call to join ARM Ministries! While at a board meeting in Colorado in October, Alan once again asked Reid to consider joining ARM Ministries. After talking it over and praying about it, and with our other experiences that have led us to this direction, we have decided to take a leap of faith and join the ARM team! 

I'm not sure I can explain our feelings about this. There is peace. There is excitement. There is joy in knowing we will be serving the Lord together here, and perhaps all over the world through short term mission trips. It just feels right. It just ..... happened. And guess what? I will have responsibilities, too! I'm going to help keep track of records and accounts.

See how well it fits? Reid will be in ministry, in a role that fits and uses all of his gifts, while enjoying missions. We get to remain here in Dundee. And I get to work side by side with my husband. In addition to working for ARM, Reid will continue consulting with AACRAO, a national higher education organization; teaching some courses at Multnomah Bible College and perhaps George Fox; and anything else God puts in his/our path. Currently, he is even doing some plumbing/electrical/remodeling work with our friend Kim Halstead from church. God provides. Yes, He does. :) 

I read something in a novel recently that exactly fit our situation. It said "It may be that God has allowed this thing in order to give you a greater commission than one you might have assumed for yourself." Perhaps God called Reid out of college administration into pastoral ministry, and then allowed all that happened with that position, to prepare us to be ready to accept and follow His call to this new adventure.... missionaries with ARM Ministries.



6 comments:

  1. God is so cool. I'm excited about your new adventure! And SO glad you get to stay close by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie, this is sooooooo exciting! On so many levels. I just think you guys will be perfect for this. Perfect! And it makes my heart so happy to see how happy you are about it. We are praying for you as you continue to step forward in faith. How we love you guys.

    And oh yes, I love seeing my name in your post. It makes me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise the Lord for His wisdom, provision and timing! I'm truly looking forward to see how He uses you in amazing ways, dear friend! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've known Alan and Dianne since our years in Klamath Falls back in the 80s, and am really thrilled for both you and them. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow and AMEN cousin. I just got chills as I read this and know you are right...you were all placed where you are supposed to be. Somehow I knew things were going the way they needed to for you all though I would have never guessed this. I am so happy for you all and so very blessed to now know that God and your faith have directed your family to where they need to be. I love you. Patty PS I don't know why I cry at everything but I guess that means I'm getting to be an old softy LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. angelene garlinghouseDecember 5, 2012 at 2:18 PM

    Soo excited to hear how our Amazing God leads, guides, and directs our lives!! Will you be raising support as missionaries? We'd love to help in any way we can...Dax and Angelene Garlinghouse

    ReplyDelete