A while back I started reading a book called "One Thousand Gifts". You've probably heard of it, or even read it. Well, I read about half of it, but honestly, I just don't do that well with non-fiction. I know, terrible confession. But it's true. I rarely make it through all of a non-fiction book. Anyway, the premise of the book stuck with me. Basically, it's to focus on the gifts God has put in our lives - tiny ones to huge ones, and doing so helps us live a life of gratitude, which helps us be more thoughtful, more focused on God, less gripey and complainy, and hopefully opens our eyes to the wonder of God all around us each and every day. The author recommends writing down a handful of blessings every day, and eventually you get to 1,000. Then it's time to start over and do another 1,000. I haven't been very diligent in getting to 1,000, but over the last several months, I have compiled a list of 100 or so (got a ways to go to reach 1,000!!)and my blog is a perfect place to record those blessings. I started in March, skipped some time from May through July, and am back at it. So here goes....
1. A 14 year old boy who still likes to be tucked in.
2. Kitten and Dog morning greetings.
3. Flannel pj's, old and soft.
4. Robin's egg blue.
5. The quiet of morning.
6. The smell of freshly brewed coffee.
7. Anticipation of a day at Aunt Pam's.
8. Faithful old Sally-car.
9. Yellow kitchen and cherry valances.
10. A living room messy with life.
11. A yellow mug that says "Each day is a gift from God."
12. Coffee and a visit with Aunt Pam.
13. Little birdies with red wings and white breasts on the hedge.
14. Fat brown squirrel on a cement block.
15. Bright purple azaleas.
16. The promise of Spring.
17. Sunshine in the afternoon, warm on my skin.
18. Kids laughing and playing at the park.
19. Friends and chatting while the kids play.
20. Laura's message about keeping Katie while we go to Haiti.
21. Family time - relaxed, not rushed - around the dinner table.
22. Being called "Aunt Carrie" by Joseph.
23. Conversation with Katie about being nervous for the track meet.
24. Talking for an hour with my love.
25. Planning a menu with my love.
26. An achy body to remind me that I worked hard and am able to work hard.
27. Primroses peeking out of shadows.
28. Making muffins with Rosie.
29. A mommy sandwich with Rosie and Nattie crusts.
30. An evening at home.
31. Cleaning out the car - the whole family.
32. Girly giggles - both the fake ones and the real ones.
33. Lunch and fellowship with friends.
34. Talking with Katie girl about womanhood.
35. A son who does his work diligently and thoroughly.
36. A car that has served us well, met our needs for the last 10 years.
37. The opportunity to share that car with those who need it in Haiti.
38. Instrumental hymns playing on Pandora.
39. Handwriting that looks like Mom's.
40. Kitten peeking over the table top.
41. A husband who loves the Lord.
42. Sun rising in the cloudless blue.
43. Bright eyed, smiling little girl with "high up" ponytail. (Nattie)
44. Shopping and lunch with friends.
45. The reason for the shopping trip - bridal shower gift for future "Mary-mom".
46. Birds chirping in the quiet of morning.
47. Ticking clock - always steady, always sure.
48. The promise of starting over in a new day.
49. Wind blowing my hair wild through the open car window.
50. Setting sun shining on golden tall grasses.
51. Happy children swimming in Aunt Pam's pool.
52. A swimsuit I really actually like!
53. Prayers and dinner as a family.
54. Sunkissed cheeks and little noses.
55. A bed that's made.
56. The smell of Reid.
57. My new family/friends in Haiti.
58. Being up before everyone else.
59. Music!
60. Golden fields of wheat.
61. Bride and Groom. (Josh and Ashley)
62. Dancing whirling little girls.
63. A ride home with Rhonda.
64. Single perfect rose in sunshine.
65. Angels who cleaned my house top to bottom, including every speck of laundry done
while I was away in Haiti.
66. Air conditioning.
67. A new bed frame.
68. Blue and turquoise cotton pajama pants.
69. Clucking chickens.
70. Saturdays!
71. Warm summer air.
72. A clean house - thanks to my friends!
73. Rearranged laundry room that feels more spacious.
74. My handy hubby who spent time extending the washing machine hoses so that I could move the washing machine to a better location.
75. Fun pens.
76. Pictures- snapshots of life and special events.
77. My Haiti experience.
78. My Haiti friends.
79. Little girls' polka dotted toe nails.
80. Blossoming beauty in my Katie girl.
81. Watching my kids interact with little Gabriel.
82. Delicious gluten free goodies from a bakery near my friend's house.
83. Time with Rhonda and Steve.
84. Coffee and quiet in the mornings.
85. Son's face lit up, holding the fish he caught.
86. Playing Quiddler with friends.
87. Crazy antics of Tiger the kitten.
88. Loyal loving dog at the foot of my chair.
89. Roses! Beautiful and fragrant.
90. Growing tomatoes in the front yard.
91. A few moments alone in the middle of the day.
92. Waking to the smell of coffee - which means Reid was mindful of me this morning.
93. Being home after a short trip.
94. Sleeping in our own bed after a trip.
95. New school supplies.
96. Paper and pencil.
97. Sun streaming into the kitchen where I sit.
98. Fresh eggs from our chickens.
99. Motivated Moms task lists.
100. Friends!
101. Water Polo coach full of praise for the boy after the first day.
OK, it may have been tedious for you to read through this list, but I sure enjoyed revisiting all those blessings, big and small, mostly the small ones. :) Makes me look forward to continuing on - maybe even all the way to 1,000!
Untethered… and Running On
11 months ago

LOL! Me too! I've only read half of it. :) Same reason. I very rarely finish non-fiction.
ReplyDeleteThings I love from your list:
1. A 14 year old boy who still likes to be tucked in.
6. The smell of freshly brewed coffee.
13. Little birdies with red wings and white breasts on the hedge.
31. Cleaning out the car - the whole family.
46. Birds chirping in the quiet of morning.
47. Ticking clock - always steady, always sure.
86. Playing Quiddler with friends.
99. Motivated Moms task lists.
Also, I observed a general theme... you like the sun. :)
Not tedious at all. In fact, I am really thankful you posted this today as I have been in a bit of a funk. I read through it slowly and savored each one. What a beautiful, precious life we have been given. Thanks for the reminder, friend. Sure would love to share a cup of that coffee while watching the sun rise over your roses someday.
ReplyDeleteI love your list! I've read the book once through but I'm reading it again much more slowly. And I confess that have yet to actually write down my own list. Maybe I should use my blog for that, too. :) And I want to come see your rearranged laundry room!
ReplyDeleteAwesome Carrie. I did read your whole entire list I confess. I too am not good with nonfiction but somehow it didn't seem like that to me LOL! I am grateful for such a wonderful cousin such as you Carrie. Just sayin'. My group of church friends that I meet with and I have discussed this very thing frequently. Trying every day to find the beauty and the positive in each moment. A personal goal of mine. I do not succeed in every moment but I try. I also thank you for posting that today because I have to admit the past few days have been a struggle in that regard for me as well. Thank you for the reminder lady. All my love. Patty
ReplyDelete